Who is setting up the new test?
SEAG: Schools’ Entrance Assessment Group
SEAG is the new organisation set up to replace the current dual testing organisations.
This single test will replace the dual tests, which have been run by the AQE and PPTC. The SEAG tests will be supplied by GL Assessment, who currently produce the current PPTC tests.
How will it work?
The SEAG transfer test will process involves two tests comprising English (or Gaeilge) and Mathematics items with a mixture of multiple choice and open or free response.
Both papers have an identical format consisting of 3 Sections. Candidates will have 60 minutes to answer the 58 questions and all answers will be completed on a separate double-sided answer sheet.
Both tests will contribute to candidates score rather than the best two of three, in the current AQE format.
These tests will be based entirely on the Key Stage 2 curriculum and therefore will reflect the literacy and numeracy knowledge and skills that children are being taught at school
Currently the test is still being developed, and so practice papers will not be available to schools, parents and pupils.
Irish-language versions of the transfer test will also be provided, with parents asked to pay a £20 entry fee, though there would be no charge for pupils who qualify for free school meals.
What is covered in the new transfer test?
Section 1 – The Practice Test
Similar to the old GL test, these Practice Questions are designed to help pupils settle before the Main Test begins and this Practice Test is not assessed.
Section 1 consists of 5 English (or Gaeilge) literacy questions and 5 Maths questions.
Section 2 – The English (or Gaeilge) Literacy Main Test
Section 2 consists of 28 questions (Q1-Q28).
· Questions 1-5: Punctuation Exercise (5 multiple choice questions)
· Questions 6-10: Grammar Exercise (5 multiple choice questions)
· Questions 11-15: Spelling Exercise (5 multiple choice questions)
· Questions 16-28: English (or Gaeilge) Comprehension.
o During this portion of section 2, pupils read a passage and answer 13 questions
o Questions 16-22: Multiple choice style
o Questions 23-28: Free response style
Section 3 – The Maths Main Test
Section 3 consists of 28 questions (Q29-Q56)
· Questions 29-52: Multiple choice style
· Questions 53-58: Free response style
When will this change?
· Registration Opens Early May 2023
· Registration Closes Mid-September 2023
· SEAG have set their transfer test in November 2023
· Assessment Paper 1 – Saturday 11th November 2023
· Assessment Paper 2 – Saturday 25th November 2023
· Results Issued – Late January/Early February 2024
Who will be the SEAG schools?
· Abbey Christian Brothers Grammar School
· Antrim Grammar School
· Aquinas Diocesan Grammar School
· Assumption Grammar School
· Ballyclare High School
· Ballymena Academy
· Banbridge Academy
· Bangor Grammar School
· Belfast High School
· Belfast Royal Academy
· Bloomfield Collegiate
· Cambridge House Grammar School
· Campbell College
· Carrickfergus Grammar School
· Christian Brothers’ Grammar School, Omagh
· Coleraine Grammar School
· Dominican College, Fortwilliam
· Down High School
· Enniskillen Royal Grammar School
· Foyle College
· Friends’ School Lisburn
· Glenlola Collegiate
· Grosvenor Grammar School
· Hunterhouse College
· Lagan College
· Larne Grammar School
· Limavady Grammar School
· Loreto Grammar School, Omagh
· Lumen Christi College
· Methodist College Belfast
· Mount Lourdes Grammar School
· Omagh Academy Grammar School
· Our Lady and St Patrick’s College, Knock
· Our Lady’s Grammar School
· Rainey Endowed
· Rathmore Grammar School
· Regent House School
· Royal Belfast Academical Institution
· Royal School Dungannon
· Sacred Heart Grammar School
· Slemish College
· St Colman’s College
· St Columb’s College
· St Dominic’s High School
· St Joseph’s Grammar School, Donaghmore
· St Louis Grammar School, Ballymena
· St Louis Grammar School, Kilkeel
· St Malachy’s College
· St Mary’s Christian Brothers’ Grammar School
· St Mary’s Grammar School, Magherafelt
· St Michael’s College
· St Patrick’s Academy, Dungannon
· St Patrick’s Grammar School, Downpatrick
· Strabane Academy
· Strathearn School
· Sullivan Upper School
· Thornhill College
· Victoria College
· Wallace High School